Saturday, May 29, 2010

Is Hormone Replacement Therapy for You?

Each woman is different. Throughout your life, your unique hormone levels rise and fall throughout the month. Your hormone levels are different from every other woman and when you reach pre-menopause or menopause, your hormone requirements are different from everyone else’s.

What is surprising is that the pharmaceutical companies profited from their one size fits all prescription and were able to profit so greatly from menopause for decades. The one size fits all synthetic estrogen and progestins were successful only because of one thing: marketing. Because of their loss of sales, they have continued to wage a war against bioidentical hormones because they cannot profit from something that cannot be patented.

However, that all changed with the Women’s health Initiative (WHI) study of 16,608 women which was halted because of the dangers to women’s health from the use of synthetic estrogen and progestin which clearly demonstrated a 29 percent increase in heart attacks, a 41 percent increase in strokes, a 22 percent increase in cardiovascular disease, a double risk of blood clots and a 26 percent increase in the chance of getting breast cancer. In addition, it was found that treatment of synthetic estrogen alone increased the risk of mild brain damage, stroke and dementia. No wonder women are frightened by the mere mention of the word: hormone replacement therapy.

Only about 20 percent of women at the age of menopause suffer from severe menopause symptoms. For these women, not only will they have to improve their lifestyles dramatically in the way of health, but help is at hand with natural bioidentical hormones. For the other 80 percent of women, they may find relief in the way of nutritional supplements in addition to adopting a healthy lifestyle.

Bioidentical hormones are the safest option for women suffering from menopause problems. With bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, (BHRT), women will find relief from hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain around the waist, depression, sleep problems, mood and energy levels.

Bioidentical hormones are made from either soy or diosgenin (wild yam) plants and synthesized in a laboratory. These natural hormones are bio-identical (the same structure) to the hormones that are already in your body. A doctor will determine by way of a blood or saliva test, what hormones you need and how much you need in order to replace the diminished hormones in your body. A compounding pharmacist will make up your individual prescription. You will use these bioidentical hormones in the manner in which your doctor has prescribed. That is, you will take estrogen, progesterone, and perhaps testosterone in a cyclical manner, replicating the natural rise and fall of hormones in the body during the month.

Your doctor may also prescribe DHEA and Human Growth Hormone (HGH) if you require it. He will also test your thyroid levels to see if you need thyroid medication as many women experience hypothyroidism as they grow older. All hormones must be balanced in the body for you to experience a high quality of health. Taking natural hormone replacement therapy has many health benefits for your body and health. They also have anti aging benefits. Women who are not taking natural bioidentical hormones will gain more weight than women who use bioidentical hormones. Replacing all your lost hormones with natural bioidentical hormones will help you enjoy a higher quality of life as you age and let you get on with the more important task of living. Are bioidentical hormones right for you? Do the research and speak with your medical practitioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment